Thursday, March 13, 2008

Colors as symbols

Red sun at morning, sailors taking warning. Red sun at night sailor’s delight. Bizarre. I’m not going to sit here and pretend I have ever understood, and it rarely is true.

Yellow rubber ducky. I don’t honestly think I have ever seen a yellow duck, but maybe the ducklings are yellow?

Blue water. However, when it is glass I don’t see any color. It’s clear.

Purple grapes. In the grocery store there more red and green though.

Red head. Mostly red heads hair is orange though.

Girls pink. Boys blue. There really only some bland skin tone though.

Colors are something we all know and understand. They are common symbols for ideas, emotions, objects. Whether they make sense or not does not matter. Our society has taught us to know and agree that these colors are logically in the objects they represent. Regardless of what colors evoke in a person personally, most likely we have been taught to associate these colors with these ideas and feelings.

And I would like to end with a scary color. Rainbows have pots of gold. I only ever found bad luck is at the end of rainbows though.

No comments: