Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Scale of Values

(Scale of Values)

For my scale of values, I decided to display it as a fan. This is because I see a fan as being many parts to make up a whole. I understand the concept of making the value scale slowly increase from white to black by dividing it into 10 different pieces, but I found this project to be quite difficult. This is for two reasons. One is because it was so hard to make the darkest value to be black. This is because we had to draw it grey charcoal. I had to layer the graphite until I realized it would not darken anymore, and then I decreased the values from there/ The second reason the project was difficult, is because it was hard to decrease the values enough from the darkest square to make it white. I probably could have decrease the values in 7. Instead I had to manipulate the values until they equally decreased within 10, which I eventually was able to successfully do eventually, but it took many trials and errors and making each area either darker or lighter. In the end, I feel my fan successfully completes the assignment even if it took awhile to get there.
(Composition of Value)

1 comment:

Joel Foster said...

Mel I like both illustrations of value very much you hit and miss at some points but those are minimal. I like the creativity that went in to you creating a fan value scale and breaking the mold. That was very genius. The fan has a smooth curve in which you see fit to add the varying degrees of shading which is a nice touch. You composition drawing a enjoy very much. The snake with the added values is a nice illustration and piece as a whole. The way you seperated the colors and what not are superb. I also like the rattle piece on the snake I like how you showed added value on the snake. As a whole I think both piece are nice the values are done right and the overall look is great!